Monday, March 04, 2013

Historical Fiction Review

Dandelions on the Wind by Mona Hodgson is the first novella in the Quilted Hearts. I really loved this story. Especially since the main character, Maren, has a disability. I've never read anything by Mona Hodgson so I found out she is a great writer. Everything flowed well, and her characters were relatable. One thing I judge books by is the dialogue, and I loved all the talking in this story. :-)

Maren Jensen came over from Denmark and has been staying with Mrs. Brantenburg and her granddaughter, Gabi for the past eight months. She's been like a mother to four year old, Gabi,  but knows she needs to go back home to her family in Denmark. Ever since her boyfriend wouldn't marry her because of her failing sight.

Rutherford Wainwright, or Wooly as most people call him, is back home from the Civil War to see her daughter, Gabi. His mother-in-law wasn't too happy to see him because he left his newborn with her and went to the war. But when he meets Maren everything changes. Would Maren be willing to stay here for him?

There was this one phrase they used in the book that I loved. "Grace cannot be earned, only given." So true. I really recommend it!

I was given this book free from Net Galley as long as I review it.

No comments: