Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Contemporay Christian Fiction Review

I had high hopes for My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade. I really did. But as I read it I just got more and more upset that this book is even called Christian! It seemed like it would be funny and a little quirky, but it quickly turned into a materialistic centered book with very inappropiate language (cursing!), one scene with drinking, gambling every Friday night, and way too much emphasize on the guy being "hot". Plus, it was so annoying to keep hearing about what he wore. Seriously, I don't care if he wears designer anything, but she always commented on the clothes of the guy and even his family. It was such a shallow, empty read. It really was. There was absolutely no substance.

Anyway, the book is about thirty-one year old Kate Donovan and her grandmother who travel to PA to help renovate her grandmother's old family home. Once there they meet Matt Jarreau who was a former NHL player and now renovates old houses. Immediately Kate is drawn to him and sees that Matt is a very troubled man. As she helps him open up and come out of the shell he built around himself they fall in love with each other. But Kate is still unsure if they should be together.

This book was such a disappointment. I was looking forward to a contemporary story, but now I don't know if I will try one again.

I was given this book free from Bethany House as long as I review it.

No comments: