Saturday, May 05, 2012

My Favorite Reviewed Book!

All I can say is wow.... Siri Mitchell's newest book is awesome!!! I was so excited to review this book for two reasons: one it is a Siri Mitchell book and two it is set in the Revolutionary war! The Messenger immediately captivated me. At first I thought I was going to be annoyed with Hannah and Jeremiah switching first person, but it didn't take me long to actually enjoy it. lol And that's saying a lot. I've always hated when authors did that.

Anyway, Hannah is a Quaker so of course, it's trying times for her and her family b/c they won't fight either side. Everyone that is except her twin brother. He became a Patriot and ended up in jail. The Quakers decided that if they were in jail then they wouldn't go help them b/c it was the consequence of their wrong choices. Hannah was a dutiful, good Quaker, but she couldn't obey them on that. So she went to the jail to try to see Robert, but the General had made a rule that no one could visit the prisoners.

That's where Jeremiah comes in. Jeremiah fought in the French and Indian war and lost his right arm while there. All b/c he was a colonial and the doctors fixed up any British first. Jeremiah carries a lot of anger and hate to the British, but since he can't fight he does the next best thing. He owns a tavern and the British give up their money to him while he gets some info in the process. He passes messages on to a spy at the tavern. But the man decides to quit being a spy b/c of the risks. Jeremiah decides to take over, and his first mission is to get messages to the prisoners. He started noticing Hannah at the jail all the time so he appoaches her about getting messages to the prisoners so they can escape. Since she wants to rescue her twin, Hannah reluctantly agrees.

It is fascinating how these characters develop. It was slow and steady like real life. Hannah's faith grows and changes, and Jeremiah learns to let go of his anger and disappointed. They helped each other change and fell in love so slowly it just seemed a natural thing instead of an expected thing.

So that's the basics. You have to read it to find out what happened. I don't want to spoil the book for you. It was so good and sad and satisfying all at the same time!!! It is def on my list of favorite books. :-)

I was given this book free as long as I review it. This is the best book I have reviewed so far! Keep writing Siri Mitchell! lol ;-)

No comments: