Friday, December 16, 2016

Review: The Revolt

Image result for the revolt douglas bond

The Revolt by Douglas Bond is set in 1300s England and centers around John Wycliffe. I was enthralled with this story because of all the facts I learned from that time period. I kept telling my husband all the tidbits I learned because I was so excited. haha

Even though the book centers around John Wycliffe, he isn't the main character. Instead, the book focuses on Hugh West'all and how meeting John Wycliffe at Oxford caused him to think deeper about what it really meant to be a Christian. Then when Wycliffe wants to translate the Bible into English for the common people to be able to read and understand, Hugh nervously agrees to help. But it's a dangerous thing to do since the church could excommunicate them for what they are accomplishing in secret.

I've never read anything from this author and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't dull or dry like a history book, but it was still packed with historical facts making this history loving gal super happy! The author did a great job explaining what the customs and laws were like in the 1300s so that you could understand how unfair and hard the peasants lives were.

I highly recommend this book to anyone. Trust me, you won't regret picking this book up from the library or the bookstore. It is definitely a must read.

I was given this book for free from Netgalley. No review, positive or otherwise, was required - all opinions are my own.

Author's Website



No comments: