Saturday, December 17, 2016

Review: The Pattern Artist

Image result for the pattern artist nancy moser

The Pattern Artist by Nancy Moser was an engrossing story even though I thought it was pretty unrealistic in a lot of ways and kind of irritating in others I still wanted to know how the author would get her character to her goal!

Annie Wood's dream is to become a ladies maid to one of her mistresses. She already fixes their dresses and redesigns them as needed to help the ladies maids out. She thought for sure she could rise in rank from a housemaid to her dream job since her designs were well received. But when Annie learns that the ladies maids accepted her work as their own, she realizes that she never had a chance to rise up the ladder. Furious, she escapes with another housemaid and her brother and they set out to live their dreams in New York City. But along the way her dream of becoming a ladies maid changes to a shopgirl and then to a designer. Will her dreams actually come true?

I felt the problems in the story were too easily resolved which made me struggle with the realism aspect. I did like the character's determination to make her dreams come true, but it just seemed too simple and incredibly fast. Also, Annie didn't really have any close girlfriends which made the story seem lacking in parts. But overall, I did like the story especially reading about the design process. I also liked that Annie wasn't perfect since she made some mistakes along the way to her dream.

I was given this book for free from NetGalley. No review, positive or otherwise, was required - all opinions are my own.

Author's Website
Author's Facebook

No comments: