Monday, March 25, 2013

Amish Fiction Review

Season of Tending is the first in the "Amish Vines and Orchards" series by Cindy Woodsmall. It's another book where I have mixed feelings. On one hand she writes really well, but on the other hand... I didn't like some of the traits the characters had.

Rhoda is a twenty-two year old single woman who is still recovering from her younger sister's death two years ago. She has a garden full of berries that she cans and sells and uses what some people in her community consider unnatural ways to cultivate it. She also grows herbs for mostly medicinal purposes. But what really gets the English and Amish people all fired up against is her sixth sense about bad things going to happen. Mostly, she just has good intuition about people and what they need. Because of all the animosity toward Rhoda, she had to destroy her herb garden and eventually her berry garden leaving her with one option - partnering with King's Orchard.

Samuel King's mission in life is his apple trees. He is desperately trying to find a solution so they don't lose their orchard. When he stumbled across Rhoda, he knew she would be the answer to their problems. After he convinced his family, they set out to win her over to their side. When she finally accepted, they all thought it would be easy sailing from there. But when things start falling apart will they turn on Rhoda?

This book has many characters talking throughout the book. It wasn't bad to me because she did it really well, but it sure was annoying sometimes. lol I like to stick with a couple characters and not jump around all the time. :-)

I like the characters and the plot except for Rhoda's "sixth" sense. That was way too over the top. The book would have been just as good if she left out how she "knows" things are going to happen. Kinda creepy. I don't mind love triangles as long as the girl loves one guy throughout and doesn't change her mind. So wishy washy when she changes her mind. But I do want to read the rest of the series so I know what happens. I hate it when series leave you hanging!!! It's this new annoying trend. haha

I was given this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishers as long as I review it. I am not required to give a positive review.

No comments: