Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Book Review

Hearts Awakening by Delia Parr is about a spinster woman of thiry one years who has "volunteered" to clean a widower's house, take care of his two little boys, and cook for two weeks. Ellie hopes to get a good reference so she can get a job elsewhere, but she can't seem to figure out how to work the stove! She's used to cooking over the hearth so everything but her desserts got scorched. Ellie is afraid she won't get a good reference unless she figures out the cookstove. But after only two days, the widower asks her to marry him in name only because he needs someone to take care of his boys, cook, and clean. At first she says no, but after praying she decides to accept his proposal because it would help both of them out of their predicaments. Jackson basically marries Ellie because she is plain so he has no scandal to fear from her like he did from his first wife. How will Ellie handle Jackson's anger and temper? And what does she do once she realizes she loves him? When will the boys accept Ellie and stop hoping for their mama's return?

I enjoyed this book mainly for its unusual time period. I also love any story with kids. I loved how Ellie wasn't gorgeous. She's just a normal woman with a sweet spirit, and a kind and loving heart. This is my first book by Delia Parr, and I must say I was hooked to the story from the beginning.

I was given this book free from Bethany House as long as I review it.

No comments: