Saturday, March 16, 2013

Teen Fiction Review

The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series by Stephanie Morrill is three books about Skylar's senior year of highschool and the summer before she starts college. I wanted to like this series. I really did. But I just couldn't. There were too many cons. It's about Skylar changing from a party girl to a "good" girl at the beginning of her senior year, and how that affects everything in her life. So anyway, I'm going to give the pros first.

Pros: The writing is superbly done. That's why I wanted to give this series a high rating. She has great dialogue and great inner dialogue. You know these characters inside and out by the time you are done with this series and because of that you know why the secondary characters act the way they do in the story. Really well done on the author's part.

Cons: I really really hated how she put so much junk in the books. Yes, I know it's for teens, but I would never let my teen daughter read this! One of the things that bothered me the most is that it's never clear if Skylar ever got saved. Was she saved as a kid? Because they never have her asking God's forgiveness, and trying to study the Bible, or really trying to have a prayer life. I think she does have a couple times when she prays, but it's more of things are bad I have nothing else to do but pray. Yeah she mentions that she knows God forgave her, but it just seems so weird. It's like as long as I go to church then that's all I need to do. But being a Christian is so much more than that! It's about seeking God - searching His Word, praying, and surrounding yourself with Christian people who can help guide you on your walk with Christ especially as a young Christian who has a dark past.

It's a disappointing series by a great writer.

No comments: